Dept - Social Studies
Type of Qualifcation - AS / A2
Exam Board - AQA
Additional Entry Requirements -
GCSE Grade 4 or above in Mathematics, English and Science
AS (1 year)
• Paper 1: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment
• Paper 2: Approaches in Psychology, Psychopathology, Research methods
A2 : (2 years)
• Paper 1: Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Psychopathology,
• Paper 2: Approaches in Psychology, Biopsychology, Research methods,
• Paper 3: Issues and debates in Psychology,
o Optional content: one from each option
Option 1: Relationships, Gender or Cognition and Development
Option 2: Schizophrenia, Eating Behaviour or Stress
Option 3: Aggression, Forensic Psychology, or Addiction
Style of Assessment
AS: two papers, 1.5 hours each. The exams consist of multiple choice, short answer and extended writing questions.
At A-level: three papers. The exams last 2 hours and consist of multiple choice, short answer and extended writing questions.
Whose kind of course?
Anyone interested in why people behave the way they do. Psychology is the scientific study of the Mind and Behaviour. Psychological theories and knowledge are based on relevant, accurate research and form the basis for practical applications that affect our lives in all areas of performance, for example in education, childcare, sport, medicine and the workplace.
Psychology develops skills of numeracy and literacy, and therefore combines well with science and arts/humanities subjects.
Stretch and challenge – Aiming for A*
• Wider reading or more in-depth independent research, and students are expected to feed back to peers
• The ability to analyze theories and research with respect to relevant issues, debates and approaches to psychology, and to understand research as a scientific process.
• The expertise in designing psychological research and applying statistical tests in order to analyze data.
Psychology is relevant for any career involving contact with people e.g. Teaching, Social Work, Advertising, Medicine, Business, management and specialisms in Psychology such as Clinical and Educational Psychology. It will also support any career that involves high levels of analysis and evaluation.