Dept - Science
Type of Qualifcation - AS / A2
Exam Board - AQA
Additional Entry Requirements -
2 x Grade 6 in any of the Sciences and a Grade 6 in Mathematics is recommended
• Students will sit a new-style qualification from September 2015. The course is now linear which means students will sit all exams at the end of the 2 year course.
• The ISA (practical examination) has now been replaced by 12 compulsory practical activities which will be carried out throughout the course in lessons and knowledge and understanding tested in the final exams.
1. Measurements and their errors
2. Particles and radiation
4. Mechanics and materials
6. Further mechanics and thermal physics
7. Fields and their consequences
8. Nuclear physics
Plus one option topic from:
9. Astrophysics, 10. Medical physics, 11. Engineering physics,12. Turning points in physics, 13. Electronics
Style of Assessment
Paper 1, 34%: Section 1-5 and 6.1 (2 hour, 85 mark, written and m-choice questions)
Paper 2, 34%: Section 6.2, 7 & 8 (2 hour, 85 mark, written and m-choice questions)
Paper 3, 32%:
Sec A: Practical Skills and Data Analysis (45 mark, written questions)
Sec B: Option topic 9-13 (35 mark, written questions)
Whose kind of course?
Anyone with a logical mind who is interested in solving problems and understanding how things work.
Those who are looking to study Science at University and are thinking of any of the careers listed below.
This A level works well alongside maths and/or other sciences
Stretch and challenge – Aiming for A*
The A* grade will be awarded to pupils who achieve an overall grade A (over 80%) in all their AS units and over 90% in their A2 units.
Scientific and technical industries, Energy and environment, Government research, Electronics / IT / software development, Healthcare, Government, Education, Finance, Legal, Media and communications, Retail/leisure, Aeronautics, Architecture.