Dept - MFL
Type of Qualifcation - AS / A2
Exam Board - Edexcel
Additional Entry Requirements -
6 or above at GCSE recommended
Students will explore the following general topics:
• Theme 1: Changes in French/Spanish society (family, education and world of work),
• Theme 2: political and artistic culture in French/Spanish speaking countries (music, media, festivals and traditions),
• Theme 3: immigration and the French/Spanish multicultural society (immigration, the far right movement),
• Theme 4: Occupied France and Resistance in World War II/ the Franco dictatorship and the transition to democracy.
Style of Assessment
AS: Paper 1 – Listening, reading and translation into English. 1 hour 45. 40% of AS Level
AS: Paper 2 – Essay on the film/book you have studied in class and translation into French/ Spanish. 1 hour 40. 30% of AS Level
AS: Paper 3 – Speaking on theme 1 and 2. 12–15mins. 30% of AS Level
A: Paper 1 – Listening, reading and translation into English. 2 hours. 40% of A Level
A: Paper 2 – Essay on the film/book you have studied in class and translation into French/ Spanish. 2 hours 40. 30% of A Level
A: Paper 3 – Speaking on a topic you have researched. 21–23mins. 30% of A Level
Whose kind of course?
Reasons for learning a language at SPH:
• Our excellent results every year;
• Our small classes which allow for individual feedback and tailored teaching and learning;
• Students who have studied a language at A-level or degree level have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (98% of language graduates are in employment three and a half years after graduation).
Business, Management, Banking, Translating, Teaching and many other careers, as we live in a global economy.