Dance and Movement
Dept - Performing Arts
Type of Qualifcation - AS / A2
Exam Board - AQA
Additional Entry Requirements -
Grade 6 at GCSE is recommended
First year (AS)
• Unit 1: Understanding the theory of Dance
• Unit 2: Choreography and Performance
Second year (A2)
• Unit 3: Dance appreciation
• Unit 4: Group choreography and solo performance
The specification aims to enable students to:
• Develop their knowledge and understanding of the demands made in practice and performance on the dancer
• Understand the process and craft of choreography including their own work and that of professional repertoire.
• Understand the process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas, through to outcome.
• Understand the development of physical and interpretive skills in relation to performance within a duo or trio.
Style of Assessment
AS: 40% Exam based; 60% Practical based
A2: 45% Exam based; 55% Practical based
Whose kind of course?
Dance AS and A2 will suit you if you:
• have a genuine interest in performance and choreography
• are willing to participate in performance, develop your own choreographic devices and be involved in discussion regard-ing professional works
• wish to develop your analytical and evaluative skills
• enjoy working both independently and as part of a team.
• wish to analyse the choreography and performance of at least 5 professional works
Stretch and challenge – Aiming for A*
In order to challenge the students, they will be given the opportunity to complete regular extension work within lessons and degree-level tasks. They will also be able to experience workshops led by professional dance companies.
Dance will benefit those seeking a career as a performer, choreographer or animateur. Other areas may include working in the performing arts and creative arts sectors, teaching, theatre management, public relations and marketing.