Dept - Science
Type of Qualifcation - AS/A2
Exam Board - AQA
Additional Entry Requirements -
2 x Grade 6 in any of the Sciences and a Grade 6 in Mathematics is recommended
•Students will sit a new-style qualification from September 2015. The course is now linear which means students will sit all exams at the end of the 2 year course.
•The ISA(practical examination) has now been replaced by 12 compulsory practical activities which will be carried out throughout the course in lessons and knowledge and understanding tested in the final exams. There will also be a greater emphasis on mathematic skills with 10% marks testing the skills.
Core content includes:
• Biological molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression
Style of Assessment
• Paper 1, topics 1-4, 2 hour exam, 91 marks, 35% of A Level
• Paper 2, topics 5-8, 2 hour exam, 91 marks, 35% of A Level
• Paper 3, Any content from topics 1-8, 2 hour exam, 78 marks, 30% of A Level
Whose kind of course?
Students who take Biology often also study from a wide range of subjects, including Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Psychology, PE, English, Geography and History.
Stretch and challenge - Aiming for A*
The A* grade will be awarded to pupils who achieve an overall grade A (over 80%) in all their AS units and over 90% in their A2 units.
A wide range of careers are available such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary, physiotherapy, pharmacy, midwifery, paramedics, nursing, zoology, marine biology, sport science, teaching, forensics and law.