Art and Design: Fine Art
Dept - Art
Type of Qualifcation - AS/A2
Exam Board - AQA
Additional Entry Requirements -
Grade 6 at GCSE in any of the Art & Design endorsements
This AS and Advanced GCE specification requires students to develop practical and theoretical knowledge and understanding of:
• practical knowledge and ability in a range of Fine Art materials, processes and techniques
• independence of mind in developing their own ideas
• an understanding of how ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted in images and artefacts, including understanding of the work of other artists and designers
• a working visual/written vocabulary and specialist terminology with which to express their ideas.
The AS Art course is tailored to encourage, enhance and challenge creativity, enabling students to achieve their potential. Lessons consist of a mixture of workshops introducing students to techniques and processes, plus tutorial sessions in which students are guided to develop their own artistic line of enquiry.
Style of Assessment
60% coursework (All of the artwork that students produce between Sept and Jan)
40% exam (The work that students produce between Feb and May in response to a specific exam theme set by AQA)
Whose kind of course?
The course is suited to students who are creative and enjoy taking photographs, painting, drawing or making. It will also interest anyone who wishes to:
• study other artists and visit galleries
• experiment with new techniques and see where these can lead
• express themselves creatively and develop the ability and knowledge to do this at a higher level
• develop their own ideas and areas of interest through discussions with teachers as well as other students
• pursue a career in art and design
• continue studying art or design at University or via an Art Foundation Course
All aspects of Art industry including graphic design, textiles, fashion, photography, 3D design, architecture, interior design, illustration. Relatd careers in museums and galleries, publishing, advertising, theatre, TV and film, art therapy, teaching, community work.